Banner

Banner

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pastor's Weekly Message - 11/6/11

November 6, 2011

This past week one of the finest men that I have ever known went home to be with our Saviour. Charles Lee Fitzsimons was 82 years old. Charles lived across the road from our home where we were reared up. Growing up without a dad he was the one who we depended on for hundreds of things and became the father figure in my life. As a boy, he was the man that I wanted to be like when I became an adult. He was the most godly man that I have ever known. In my 59 plus years on this earth he stood head and shoulders above all others in my eyes.

Many years before I knew what a godly man was I could see that he was different than other men. He was a deacon in our home church and I later found out it was Charles who got us to go to Church. If any person fulfilled the call of a Deacon, Charles was the man. He took care of church duties which included the less fortunate and the poor. He was one of the hardest working men I have ever known. He was always doing things at the church. Any work that was going on he was in the forefront. He never missed any services unless he was very sick.

He was the junior boys Sunday School teacher and the best I have ever seen. Every boy in his class could say the books of the Bible by the time they were out of his class. Today I still can recite them because of him. Charles had no boys of his own but had three girls. He took us as his boys. Charles bought me my first Coke and took me on my first camping trip. He made sure we always had something for Christmas. He got me my first job at US Pipe. He helped me get my first car loan. Anytime I needed help he was there.

When the Lord was calling me to preach, he was the one who prayed with me and counseled me. He was there when I preached my first sermon. I owe so much to him for the time and love that he put into me and my family. Any one of us boys could be writing this article today because he was the man. Everyone needs a man in their life like Charles. I thank God for allowing Charles into my life.

Pastor Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment